Posted at: 9:55 AM on 21 August 2009 by Muhimbi
We really love these free ‘Web 2.0’ kind of services. You add a line or 2 of pre-generated code to your site and BANG, you got yourself a ‘reteweet button’ (see below) or a full blown user forum. Today we’ll show how to add one of those cool ‘Feedback buttons’ that links to UserVoice’s fancy suggestion box service.
To ensure this new functionality is added to every page in the Site Collection we use our free SharePoint Infuser rather than the Content Editor Web Part. No messing about in SharePoint Designer, modifying Master Pages or dealing with ‘Ghosting’ issues.
Notice the black feedback button in the left screen and the UserVoice overlay in the right one.
Follow the steps outlined below to integrate UserVoice in your site collection:
- Download and install Muhimbi’s SharePoint Infuser on one of your Web Front End Servers.
- Ensure you have Designer privileges, more specifically the Add and Customize Pages right.
- Sign up for a free UserVoice account. (Or use our demo account details below).
- In your SharePoint Site collection, on the Site Actions / Site Settings screen select Infuse custom content from the Look and Feel column.
- Paste the content of your clipboard into Infuser’s code window. If you are using IE then you may want to paste it in WordPad first , otherwise all line breaks are stripped out.
- Click the Save button and navigate to any page in the site collection
var uservoiceJsHost = ("https:" == document.location.protocol) ?
"https://uservoice.com" : "http://cdn.uservoice.com";
document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + uservoiceJsHost +
/* required */
/* optional */