Posted at: 10:20 AM on 26 June 2009 by Muhimbi
Have you ever come across the following message beneath a hyperlink in an e-mail:
NOTE: If this URL wraps or is broken by carriage returns in your mail client you will need to copy and paste it into Notepad, edit out any line breaks and paste the corrected link in to the Address bar of your browser.
Try explaining that to your mother or other casual computer users.
Or have you ever been part of the following discussion while trying to spell a web address to someone else over the phone:
h t t p colon slash slash….yeah, forward slashes…double you double you double you…….no CAPTIAL a…….n…no N for…errr…November…….then a pound sign, no not the currency, a little picket fence like sign (#)……. etc for another 200 characters.
Today we are launching a new product that can be used to shorten URLs for typical web applications and SharePoint in particular. The Muhimbi URL Shortener for SharePoint, a.k.a. MuSH, integrates tightly with both WSS and MOSS and allows short URLs to be created directly from a list item’s context menu.
- Available in English, Dutch and German. Support for additional languages will follow shortly.
- Designed with regular users in mind, so short URLs are case insensitive and don’t use potential confusing characters such as o, O, 0, i, l, 1.
- Available directly from a list item’s or file’s context menu.
- Short URLs can be created and accessed from non SharePoint based web applications and intranets.
- Heavily optimised, does not impact the performance of your SharePoint farm.
- Support for use on multiple SharePoint Web Applications.
For more information check out the: