Posted at: 3:27 PM on 19 April 2010 by Muhimbi
We are very excited to announce our first product spin-off, the Muhimbi PDF Converter Services (MDCS), a server side solution to convert typical MS-Office files to PDF Format in a robust and scalable manner from any web services capable environment, including Java and .NET.
The MDCS is a spin-off from our popular PDF Converter for SharePoint. Much of the logic is the same, but all the SharePoint specific bells and whistles have been removed and the documentation has been completely rewritten and includes both Java and .NET sample code.
- Convert popular document types to PDF or XPS format with near perfect fidelity.
- Scalable architecture that allows multiple conversions to run in parallel. The service can be scaled up by adding additional CPUs and scaled out by using standard HTTP Load Balancers.
- Runs as a Windows Service. No need to install or configure IIS or other web service frameworks.
- Convert password protected documents.
- Apply security settings to generated PDF files including encryption, password protection and multiple levels of PDF Security options to prevent users from printing documents or copying a document’s content.
- Generate regular PDF files or files in PDF/A format.
- Generate high resolution PDF Files optimised for printing or normal resolution files optimised for use on screen.
- Dynamically refresh a document’s content before generating the PDF. Ideal for merging content from external sources into your PDF file.
- Control how to convert hidden / selected content such as PowerPoint Slides and Excel worksheets.
The web services class diagram is displayed below. A blog post describing how to use the Web Service in a .NET environment can be found here.
For more information check out the following resources:
- Product Page.
- Release Notes.
- Administration Guide.
- User & Developer Guide.
- Discussion Forum.
- All PDF Converter Services related Blog postings.