Posted at: 6:08 PM on 21 February 2011 by Muhimbi
Today is an exciting day for Muhimbi as we are shipping the second major release of our popular SharePoint Audit Suite.
In these days of WikiLeaks and strict regulatory requirements, it is essential to be able to track who have viewed, added, updated or deleted content in your SharePoint sites. The Muhimbi Audit Suite makes this easier than ever by building on top of SharePoint’s existing auditing abilities and filling in the many gaps and shortcomings associated with Microsoft’s platform.
The main new features are as follows, we’ll publish more detailed posts in the next few days so make sure you follow us on Twitter or subscribe to our newsfeed.
- SharePoint 2010 Support: In addition to WSS3 and MOSS 2007 we now provide support for SharePoint Foundation 2010 as well as SharePoint Server 2010.
- Enriched Data: Any Audit data logged by the native SharePoint platform is cryptic at best. Our software translates this information into a format that is much more readable and easier to report on.
- Additional Audit events: Although the SharePoint platform provides such basic audit events as View and Delete, some events such as Insert are sorely missing. The Muhimbi Audit Suite fills in the gaps by adding new event types and tightening up the support for existing event types. For example our product adds support for tracking views of List Items and Document property screens.
- Authentication events: Wouldn’t it be great to track when users log-in to or log-off from a site collection? Now you can, and include it in your fancy audit reports as well.
- Field changes: It is great to track that a document or item has been updated, but what you really want to know is what fields have changed and what the old and new values are. This information is now logged to the audit logs to make it extremely easy to get an overview of what happened to an item over time.
- Advanced Querying: Our lightning fast log viewer / querying tool makes it very simple to run custom queries. Per user, for a group of users, excluding certain users, between two dates, certain audit events only, you name it.
- Improved Reporting: The Muhimbi Audit Suite ships with a number of pre-generated reports such as Security Reports and Content Modification Reports, but it is also very simple to generate your own custom ones. Results can be grouped by User, Date, Site or by any combination of these. Export the data to Excel for further filtering / pivoting.
Generated report grouped by Date and User
- Increased Scalability: The audit tables that ship with SharePoint have not been designed with scalability in mind. The Muhimbi Audit Suite creates a separate logging database that is highly optimised for the logging and querying of audit data, no matter how many millions of rows it contains.
- Automatic log truncating: SharePoint’s standard log tables, they just grow and grow…. out of control. We have many customers who used to have more than 100 million rows in their audit tables, which could no longer be queried due to their size and were causing problems during the backup process of site collections. The Muhimbi Audit Suite allows the log files to be truncated automatically after a certain amount of time. There is no need to keep indefinite audit data if all you need is the last 3 months.
For more information check out the following resources:
- Product Page.
- Release Notes.
- Administration Guide.
- Discussion Forum.
- Related Blog Posts.
Download your free trial here (4.5 MB). .